Join Us in Paying Tribute to Family Caregivers
People who are experiencing a serious or advanced illness depend upon the love, dedication and extraordinary personal care provided by family members. This is a time to honor these caregivers and to also recognize the value of hospice and palliative care for helping these patients and their families.
An often overlooked — but vital — part of the U.S. healthcare system, caregivers play an essential role in supporting a patient’s ability to remain at home. By offering physical and emotional support for a loved one with a serious or advanced illness, family caregivers are in a rare position to enhance relationships, gain a sense of satisfaction, experience personal growth, and connect with others in meaningful ways as part of the caregiving team.
As rewarding as caregiving can be, the challenges can put individuals at risk for depression, fatigue, financial hardship, shifts in relationships, and changes in physical health.
Understanding Caregiver Challenges
It is important to recognize and address the many challenges that caregivers face every day of the week:
- Family caregivers often feel overwhelmed by the number and complexity of personal and medical decisions. These challenges can leave them feeling lonely, isolated and stressed
- Too often caregivers struggle with a lack of knowledge about their loved one’s disease or don’t know what to expect in the process
- Caregivers typically don’t have the training and support for the level of medical care required. In many cases, caregivers have had no training to perform these tasks and must learn on their own
- Caregivers often face added financial burdens
For these reasons, Turn-Key Health offers Palliative Illness Management™ (PIM), an innovative home-based palliative care solution that offers a structured caregiver support program:
- When the caregiver is present for the patient visit, the PIM team screens him or her for caregiver strain through a structured assessment derived from a validated caregiver stress questionnaire
- Caregivers who are experiencing stress are highlighted in our PIM Platform Patient Dashboard to ensure close follow-up
- A plan to lessen caregiver stress is developed by the PIM clinicians. This includes making referrals to community services, financial and legal services, support groups, and respite services.
- Our Caregiver Resource toolkit contains a collection of tools designed to make the role of caregiving more manageable, including tips for promoting self-care
To learn more about Turn-Key Health or the PIM™ program, contact us here.