Medical Directors Express High Praise for
Community-based Palliative Care
A growing number of payers are examining or actively deploying community-based palliative care (CBPC). So, it’s not surprising that health plans and other risk bearing entities are beginning to adopt Turn-Key’s Palliative Illness Management (PIM) solution. What’s more, the CMS directive that palliative care is now a reimbursable benefit under Medicare Advantage plans and the demonstration projects underway is redefining how plans address end-of-life.
Judging from the enthusiastic response from medical directors at the NAMCP Spring Managed Care Forum which took place in Orlando, Florida in April, interest is starting to resonate across every stakeholder group.
Here are some key reasons our proprietary PIM solution is getting such rave reviews and widespread adoption:
- Objective program validation: an independent research study published in the April 2019 issue of the Journal of Palliative Medicine showed that the Turn-Key population health community-based model of palliative care (CBPC) can result in more compassionate, affordable, and sustainable high-quality care. Researchers evaluated utilization and cost outcomes of our standardized CBPC program. They conducted a retrospective propensity-adjusted study to quantify cost savings and resource utilization. This included an analysis of claims data from a Medicare Advantage (MA) plan and used a proprietary predictive model to identify members at high risk for overmedicalized end-of-life care. Results documented that members who received CBPC showed a statistically significant 20 percent reduction in total medical costs, 38 percent reduction in ICU admissions, 33 percent reduction in hospital admissions, and 12 percent reduction in hospital days. The conclusion: Turn-Key’s structured program of CBPC using a predictive model to identify MA candidates for intervention can reduce utilization and medical costs.
- Physicians and payers face challenges with the tidal wave of Baby Boomers aging into Medicare and requiring more extensive healthcare services.Turn-Key’s structured, population health approach to home-based CBPC is becoming the solution of choice for meeting the complex needs of “the sickest of the sick” — the most consumptive group of members with advanced illness. By 2050, the number of people on Medicare who are 80 and older will nearly triple, while the number of people in their 90s and 100s will quadruple. As a result, physician leaders are beginning to recognize that this fragile, vulnerable population requires a more focused approach to effectively address the enormity of the issues impacting cost and quality of care.
- Medical directors now recognize that the Turn-Key home-based, member engagement strategy actually augments physician interaction with patients. Rather than taking patients away from physician practices, we help them to do a better job: provide a way to scale the time and resources of the treating physician and extend their reach to touch more patients. We do this by creating specially trained teams of social workers and nurses to provide supportive palliative care services in the home. They achieve exceptional results and significant decrease in expense, with a level of purely supportive care that includes having the difficult conversations about end-of-life choices that many physicians are unable to accommodate.
- The goal is to keep the patient tied and tethered to the treating primary care physician and the medical home, strengthen the existing physician-patient relationship, help physicians to do a better job and concurrently, reduce the cost of care. Our results, as cited above, achieve better outcomes for physicians and patients — with nurses and social workers amplifying physician resources to serve an even greater number of members.
- The Turn-Key model truly supports physician practices, MSOs, IPAs and delegated health system partners that are taking on risk. Our role is to help these medical groups succeed, scale their time and resources and drive better member outcomes. We designed our solution to focus on care in the home, recognizing that physicians simply don’t have the infrastructure to support home-based care and welcome this additional level of support.
- Physician leaders are looking for help that enables them to meet the needs of the whole person and the family, and successfully expand the goals of care toward comfort and quality of life. The Turn-Key solution makes it possible to achieve these goals while avoiding costly, burdensome, non-beneficial care at the end-of-life.
Want to learn more? Click here to contact a Turn-Key Health team member today!